"Data analysis in qualitative research is a process of categorization, description and synthesis. Data reduction is necessary for the description and interpretation of the phenomenon under study."
- coding is the process of organizing data and obtaining data reduction
- it is the process by which researchers "see what they have in the data"
- the researcher needs to determine an appropriate category system to organize the data
- any rational system of codes that benefit the research can be used
- setting or context codes are usually very useful
- the subject's perception codes are also commonly used.
- process codes, which focus on the sequence of events and how change occurs, are also useful